ERGOTHIONEINE…THE INTELLIGENT ANTIOXIDANT FOR NUTRACEUTICAL, COSMECEUTICAL AND THERAPEUTICS
EGT™ is naturally occurring, water soluble, amino acid multifaceted antioxidant produced by microbes in the soil and most commonly found in (but not produced by) various species of mushrooms and grapes, meats and dairy products. However, it is not commercially practical to extract EGT™ from these natural sources and it essentially impossible to ingest a diet that provides enough EGT™ to take full advantage of its potential health benefits. Humans and most animals typically have low levels of EGT™ since the amount of EGT™ in the diet is relatively small.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND SCIENCE BACKGROUND
Our intellectual property for EGT™ includes three patents and two patent pending applications that cover the synthesis of highly-purified EGT™ and the protective effect of EGT™ on mitochondria and other pivotal body structures and functions. A number of peer reviewed scientific papers referenced in the Monograph [create link] on this website indicate that EGT™ is one of the most potent, multifaceted biological compounds with both appreciable antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective and other protective properties. EGT™ acts by itself, or in combination with other natural compounds to improve the body’s own intrinsic defenses against oxidative stress. Accordingly, Oxis is focusing its efforts on developing products that deliver the benefits of EGT™ taken by itself and in combination with other elements that enhance various health protective systems.
BENEFITS OF EGT™
Some of the potential benefits of EGT™ include its ability to:
- Conserve and maintain the levels of other antioxidants such as Vitamin E, Vitamin C and glutathione;
- Increase respiration and the oxidation of fat (possibly contributing to increased energy and exercise capacity);
- Protect mitochondria from damage (this is important because potentially damaging reactive oxygen species are generated when oxygen is normally metabolized in mitochondria,
- Reduce the damaging effects of environmental ultraviolet radiation (likely to be important in protecting the eyes against cataract producing oxidative injury);
- Neutralize increased oxidative stress by providing an ROS (reactive oxygen species) and RNS (reactive nitrogen species) scavenging capacity, a property that protects key molecules in the body; and,
- Protect against the effects of neurotoxins that are believed to have a casual role in the development and progression of cognitive decline.